Friday, March 12, 2010

Little Pieces of Sunshine

It has been rainy and foggy all week. Very strange weather. Without any sunshine, the fog never burns off. It just hovers close enough to the ground to block our view -- or an least slightly obstruct it -- while driving.

There are silly little things, though, that can bring sunshine to your life. Here are a few examples:

~ Did you know you can get a 30-second back rub when someone is sucking up to you get something? We pick up Carter from the sitter, he hands me a note with a phone number and the words "go-cart" on it. As he sits behind me in the car and starts rubbing my shoulders while telling me this go-cart was listed for sale on Craig's List (which I was not aware he knew existed) and says, while working out my knots, "This sure would make a nice birthday present."

Then stops rubbing. Apparently that was supposed to be enough to convince me he loved me and, if I loved him back, I'd call about buying this contraption. One, that's not gonna happen. Two, I suspect this is a diversion. He asks for something big. Something outrageous. Then we say, "No way" and he says, with a dramatic hint of exasperation, "Fine, I guess I'll just take a cell phone then." Can you not see it playing out that way? Oh my little sunshine...

~ Did you know that when you've had your arm in a cast and/or sling for several weeks, one of your first "treats" is shaving under that arm? I won't reveal this person's identity but warned her she might make the blog! I just thought it was hilarious. When she said it out loud, I think both our husbands looked at each other like, "Is nothing sacred?" But ask any woman. They would agree. It would be a treat. It would bring sunshine to your life after many dreary days of "confinement"...

~ Did you know that even without experience or a major sponsor, we can out-drive a race car driver? OK, it didn't exactly play out that way. We were on the 4-lane highway when we saw our nephew Colin up ahead, going the same direction. So we pulled up alongside him. I stuck out my tongue and made blabber faces at him. Then we sped off ahead. Actually, it was good to note he was not going over the speed limit. We promise not to tell his fans he was passed by an old couple in a car with 200,000+ miles on it! Well, we won't tell everyone...

~ Did you know that ordering baked fish is only "healthy" if you ignore the dish of melted butter? We went out to eat tonight. One of those things where you go to the place closest to home but have the longest wait. Luckily, we knew one of the waitresses and she served us in the bar area so we didn't have to wait an hour. I'm sure we would have wasted away, you know. I ordered baked fish but could not resist the occasional dip in the melted butter. I should have just gone with the deep-fried...

~ Did you know that you can still enjoy the weather despite the rain and fog? Just ask our cat. We get home from work tonight and I see that Daddy propped open two windows for the princess this morning. I'm sure she napped in the fresh air all day! Yes, I'm jealous...

~ Did you know that a little message from a family member can make your day? My sister sent me a note in the mail -- the real mail, the snail mail. On the envelope she had my name and then on the second line it said, "Noted author of On the Light Side." Too funny. I might have to frame that if I never get my book done! Or even if I do...

Thanks, everyone, for bringing me my little pieces of sunshine this week!

No comments: