Thursday, November 29, 2012

Transitions

Our household is in a state of transition -- and I'm not just talking about our ripped-up bathroom that better transition into something soon. All three of us embarked on a different chapter of our lives today. Nothing earth-shattering. Just signals of changing times.

Jim worked from home and joined the old "gang" at lunch. This was the first time without their friend Davey, who died last month. Just won't be the same any more. I'm sure they probably spent some of the time talking about him and most of the time missing him. I am quite sure Davey will always be there in spirit.

My transition is more a sign of aging, I guess. I picked up my new "night driving" glasses. Yay. While it is good that I can see better, I'm just less than thrilled that my eyes are progressing to that stage. Next it will be my hearing. And before you know it, I'll be wearing Mom Jeans. Gasp!

Carter's transition was thrilling for him and a bit of a bittersweet moment for me. After 14 years of getting his hair cut -- and usually buzzed with the clipper -- by Mom, he went to a hair "artist" today for the first time. Ever. Trust me, I had to hold back the urge to take photos. Ha. That's just the scrapbooking mom in me.

The hair-cutting mom will miss being needed. But he wants something more, shall we say, trendy now. Ms. Tina did a fine job and she definitely has a new fan in Carter. I like how it looks, too. And at some point, he may even give me permission to take a picture!

The only family member who didn't have to cope with a change today was Sylvester. According to Jim, she has been on the same chair for 6 hours now. Eventually, she may make her way to the food dish or litter box.

I hope she can handle the transition as well as we did!

No comments: