Thursday, November 1, 2012

College Material?

I had one of those anxious "empty nest" moments today when Carter received his first recruitment letter from a college.

And I use the word recruitment loosely.

Under the guise of a "Congratulations on your confirmation" letter, a Lutheran college in southern Wisconsin made themselves known to us. A private school? Wow we must have cleaned up good for our family confirmation picture!

While templated, it was still a nice letter "celebrating the person you are becoming"... then pointing out their mission statement and promising to be in touch "from time to time" over the next few years.

I would call it a pretty soft recruitment. I mean they sent him a key chain -- not the car to go with it.

Still, it gave me pause and I realized I am not ready for this by any stretch of the imagination.

The ironic thing is, Carter quickly proved that he isn't either. Among his homework assignments tonight he has to read 100 pages in a book... he forgot in his locker at school. Uhm...Is this kid college material? Not yet. Whew.

I'm OK with that. He gave the situation a reality check -- which this mom (who dies a little inside each time I think about my baby leaving) needed.

We'll keep the key chain, though. If nothing else, it's a reminder of what he needs to strive for and what Mom needs to be prepared for.

But let's not rush things... 100 pages down.... lots to go.

No comments: