Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Catch My Drift?

Well Old Man Winter must have really needed to blow off some steam today. Though I actually would have preferred steam to his blustery (and that's putting it mildly) winds!

The drive to work was interesting. We got 2-3 inches of snow overnight. And Mr. Wind silently showed up, too. So besides snow blowing across the roads so you couldn't see where it was icy or not, you also couldn't follow too closely behind someone because the snow would just blow up in your face, so to speak, and you were momentarily blinded.

It wasn't too bad until the I met a semi around a curve and his motion kicked up a bunch of it right into my lane. I couldn't see at all. I didn't know if I should brake so I wouldn't hit the car in front of me but hopefully avoid going in the ditch, or not brake since the car behind me would be blinded and wouldn't see my brake lights anyway. Scary moment there. It lasted maybe 2 seconds but it took 2 more miles (or perhaps 20) to get over it!

Now I know what a "whiteout" is, and I don't like it! I wish I had a horse that knew the way to carry my sleigh through the white and drifting snow...

I made sure I left work early enough today to drive the whole route in daylight. Good call. The snow was drifting in places and constantly blowing across the road any place there was not a tree or house to block it. And that was either side of the road. It was weird. Just blowing across the highway like a mysterious fog rolling in on an old Scooby Doo episode... or like a fog machine at a Who concert!

If I had been traveling in the dark, I don't know if I would have seen the road OK. Good thing I am smart about winter driving. And yes, let's face it, a wimp, too.

Got Carter at school, came home to eat supper and raced to church for a meeting at 6:30, planning to skip out early so we could go to the boys playoff basketball game down in Port Edwards. Turns out I didn't have to skip anything since the meeting is next week. In fact, after double checking, I clearly had it written in my purse planner and my wall calendar that the meeting is 6:30 Feb. 26.

Oh, today's not the 26th?? This cold weather is getting to me!

I'm kind of scared for tomorrow when the windchills are supposed to hit 25 below zero.

Stay warm, my friends.

P.S. The Assumption boys won by 20 points to advance to the next round! Glad we got to go after all!

No comments: