Friday, February 15, 2013

Going, Going, Gone...

I should be a writer. Or at least somebody in marketing or PR. Oh wait, I actually do all those things for a living. Sort of. But when it really counts is when it comes to Carter's fundraisers.

By signing him up for baseball this week, I got the typical box of candy bars -- 60 to sell this year, not 50. I took care of my VIP customers first, then brought the box to work today. Just took a little signage ...


And directions to my desk (I added arrows)... and we are sold out! Going, going, gone... Good job, Carter!

Actually, I can't give him any grief for his lack of personal sales efforts. He was busy doing something important today -- competing in the district Solo & Ensemble contest. Now that he is in high school, he has the chance to go to state if his performance gets a starred first rating on a class A piece. He was happy to get a first on his class B brass trio but disappointed that the larger brass ensemble only got a second on its class A number. So no trip to state for him this year, but our school will still be well represented.

Since the contest was up in Marshfield, we had to get Carter to the school at 6 a.m.! Tough morning. And long day. While we got out of work at 3 p.m. since it's a holiday weekend and we have early release, Carter didn't get back to town until almost 6. That's a really long day!

Jim met him at the school and they stayed to watch boys basketball while I took in a crafting class at the new scrapbook store in town. It was supposed to go from 5-7 p.m. but it got a little technical and went until 7:30. Yes, working with micro-glitter can be technical!

Afterwards, I met the guys at school and got to the game at 7:40 or so when the first quarter was just ending. Our varsity boys beat the Phillips Loggers by a lot. That was good to see.

Afterwards, since the basketball season is soon to be going, going, gone... we got together with some "freshman parents" just down the road and had a great evening. Since our gathering didn't start 'til almost 10 p.m., it seems logical that we were there until 2 a.m.

In a few hours, it will not seem so logical. I know Carter won't have a problem sleeping in. Probably Jim and I won't either. Just hope the phone knows not to ring!

No comments: