Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Unconditional

One can't even come close to measuring the value of unconditional love. It is a gift to give it or receive it. The catch, however, is that it might not be reciprocated.

Take these two for instance...

Sylvester is definitely "Daddy's girl." Even though Santa technically gave her to Carter and even though there is another female in the house to bond with, she gives a good 95% of her love to Daddy. And he gives it right back.... but thankfully is able to give larger doses to Carter and me.

It doesn't always work human to human, though.

We were watching our favorite show Modern Family tonight. In it, the mom was thinking that her grown daughter might be "coming back" to her, so to speak, after the years of not reciprocating that unconditional love. Why yes, that did occur during her teen years. And yes, I did look at Carter when this was playing out on TV.

He looks at me and says, "What, Mom? It's just a show. You don't have to lecture me!" I responded by pointing out that I just looked at him, I didn't say anything or lecture. But that is the typical give and take right now. He does have his moments when he forgets to be too cool to interact with me. Like last night when I arrived at the basketball game late, I was walking past the student section and he yelled out, "Hi Mom!" I will tuck that little memory away so I remember it when he is rolling his eyes at me.

And I know he'll do it often. Trust me. After spending the weekend with my teenage BFF, I know darn well we thought our parents were clueless and, like, not even close to cool. Like, totally not.

So I'll just keep on lovin' him (as REO Speedwagon sang in my teen years), and be patient for the return trip. Very patient.

Like. Totally patient.

No comments: