Friday, July 19, 2013

Fifteen and Free

We saw Carter off this morning to spend a weekend with a friend. In Vegas. Yup, it's a changed world. When you are 15 and free, apparently, you can jet off to Vegas for a weekend... and leave Mom and Dad behind.

It's one of those unusual situations where a friend's dad has to speak at a convention and he said his son -- Carter's friend and classmate -- could take a friend. So Carter is that said friend. A driver picked him up today and off they went to Minneapolis for their flight.

I hope he realizes he is not escaping the heat! I also hope he doesn't think he's going to "do" much out there besides hang out at the hotel pool and maybe go to the NASCAR simulator at the Stratosphere.

He's got plans, though.

I overheard him tell Daddy this morning that they were for sure going to Hooters and that he and his friend are going to flip a coin to see which one is going to pretend it's their birthday. Hmmm. How much trouble can 2 15-year-olds get into? Good thing they will only be unsupervised for that 2-hour period when the speech is being given! And good thing, according to Daddy, that the Hooters girls in Vegas aren't impressive since the really "good" girls are working elsewhere on the strip.

Yup, good thing.

Of course, I recall myself at 15 and I was looking for trouble. Our parents said we couldn't date until we were 16. The summer we turned 15 we went up to Canada on a vacation. I'm pretty sure my twin and I whined the whole way up and back, begging for permission to go to the county fair with these two boys from Cushing. I'm surprised my parents didn't just drop us off in the Canadian wilderness and make us hitch our own ride back to the States.

It's a boy-crazy, girl-crazy age. But what age isn't?

Tonight, our first childless night in awhile, hubby I went on a date. We dipped our chips in salsa at El Mezcal then dipped our toes in Lake Wazeecha on the way home. We were hoping to catch some of the state water ski championship action there but it had wrapped up for the night.

So we came home and watched The Big Lebowski movie -- and laughed like silly 15-year-olds.

'Cause we're free.

No comments: