Tuesday, July 16, 2013

If You Can't Stand the Heat...

There's that old saying that "if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen." Today in the Midwest (and probably everywhere) no one was leaving the kitchen because the last thing we wanted to do was step outside.

For our area anyway we have a heat advisory until Friday. It was something like 96 for a high in Rapids today and it's supposed to be warmer tomorrow. Uff da.These are the types of days my dad struggled through. He had a really hard time with heat and humidity so I am relieved he is up in heaven, sitting on a porch somewhere shooting the breeze in a nice breeze. I can picture that in an instant.

How did WE beat the heat?

Well Carter got out of the kitchen... and rode bike with a friend around the lake. But they spent most of their time at our house in the A/C. Who wouldn't?

I got out of the kitchen... and went over to the fitness center to go running. I figured it wouldn't be so bad since they had A/C going, too. Didn't seem like it once I got going. Of course, I am out of practice so that didn't help. I realized I have about 6.2 weeks before my 6.2-mile run (10K) over Labor Day weekend. So heat or no heat, I gotta get movin'!

We all got out of the kitchen tonight... to go to Carter's last game ever at Kellner Fields. Next year, he will be too old and will be moving onto bigger things. Bigger fields at least! The Blue Team lost and we didn't have enough players to begin with. Our buddy Nate agreed to play a second game and two of his teammates. So we had enough players finally -- just not enough runs. Oh well. It was a good, long run there.

Carter will have one more game Thursday (for the Red Team) and then you can stick a fork in the baseball season. It will be done!

That should be just in time for it to cool down! Figures.

Maybe Dad will at least send down a cool breeze or two.

No comments: