Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Relaxation Techniques

I guess I can sort recall sleeping away my summer when I was a teenager. Noon was not an unheard of wake-up time. I'm pretty sure if there was some significant noise, though, I would have awakened.

Not so with our teenager.

Today, we had a few errands for him to run in town. So he requested we call and wake him up at 9 so he could bike in while it was still cool. To prepare, he had his alarm set PLUS the phone (set on LOUD) next to his bed. I started calling at 9. No answer. Tried at 9:10. Still no answer. Tried at 9:20. No answer.

You see where this is going.

According to our Caller I.D., I called home 8 times this morning. Carter never answered.

You know what worked? Having the next-door neighbor go over to our back deck and pound on Carter's bedroom window. Good morning, sleepyhead!!

Seriously. I wonder if we can hire him for wakeup calls this summer.

So Carter did make it to town for one of the errands and forgot one, too, so we'll have to get postage stamps somewhere else. When he got home, he didn't know what to do with himself. He's so used to a full schedule. So I suggested he go for  run. Cross country is just around the corner, after all.

He actually did do a short 2-miler and was groaning about what hurt as soon as we got home. I wanted to be sympathetic but pretty much just affirmed that this was why he should start NOW. It's not like he won't have time!

Last night was pretty busy for me working on something for one of my racing nephews. So tonight was the first fully free night in quite some time. Usually, during baseball season, we'd have one free night a week to cram in everything from bill paying to grocery shopping. I took care of that already this weekend. So here I am, like Carter, not knowing what to do with myself.

I fully admit I must have an attention-deficit disorder of some kind. Unless it's a nice sunny afternoon I could spend with Mr. Deck Chair, I don't know how to relax. I feel like I should or have to be doing something. How sad is that?

So I'm blogging before 8, trying to sell a printer online and am going to teach myself to create a website. Sure, I could tackle one of my lists of things to do around the house. But then what will Carter do tomorrow?

If we can get him up, that is.


No comments: