Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mission Work

Greetings from the sunny Ozark Mountain region!

Sorry for any typos but I am typing quickly on my phone as I only have a few minutes.

In a word,  the trip so far has been AWESOME!  As in awesome fun. As in awesome people and seeing God's awesome creation and awesome power working through us.

Arrived safely Sunday and started mission work yesterday.  My group worked together at a Kids Club for kids ages 5-10. Wow. What an eye opening experience. These kids are so in need of love and attention.  One example. .. a girl was sitting by herself so I engaged in a conversation.

She told me one of the teens who worked with the mission group a few weeks ago was her only friend in the world because she was the only person who didn't lie to her, stab her in the back or steal her boyfriends. I said "Oh you're having boy trouble already?  How old are you?" She replied, "Eight.  My  birthday's tomorrow so I'll be 9."

Whoa. These young kids have some grown-up issues. Booneville also has one of the top drug "populations" so there are a lot of broken homes and broken people. I initially was concerned about what our high schoolers would take away from this trip and I am the one learning and growing.  That's awesome!u

Today we were at the club again this afternoon but we spent the morning painting. I don't think I'll be moving my right arm tomorrow!

Tonight we're taking a field trip to a farm... something new for the Wisconsin group!  Last night we enjoyed a mountain-top tour and this view of the Ozarks.



Yes I forced Carter to stand there with me. That hasn't changed. Since he is in the other work group from our church, I actually don't see him during the day and we do not have any one-on-one time. Amazingly I am OK with that. I have heard good things about him from the other adult leaders so I trust he is doing what he is supposed to.

Of course,  with three other church groups from Texas churches here, we are constantly defending OUR accents. I know. We don't have accents, do we?

So much to teach and learn here!

Catch you again soon!

No comments: