Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thrifty Thursday

If you are wondering why Carter doesn't have any long pants any more it's because every time he has money, it burns a hole in his pocket.

 Not quite "literally," but close enough.

Today, hubby and I worked at the home office today. But I did have a side mission in mind over "lunch hour." Carter and I both need new running shoes. Cross country practice starts in 3 weeks and he better break in a new pair by then (which does require running, by the way, Carter). I have needed new ones for a few months and now really better break in a pair before my 10K in 5 weeks (which does require running, by the way, Robyn).

We had a short list of things to accomplish on our quick trip to Plover and Stevens Point. We first dropped our old TV from the basement off at Best Buy. If you didn't know this, they take old TVs (I think under 36 inches or something) and will recycle them for you. Free of charge. Beats paying $20-$30 to have a recycling company do it.

After that, we headed next door to MC Sports to see if there was a decent deal on running shoes for Carter. Of course, he naturally gravitates to the more expensive ones. But I talked him into a reasonable pair after he tried three different ones on. He should be set. And the sales guy assured me they would be fast!

From there, we headed up to Shippy Shoes in Stevens Point. They analyzed my running gait, etc, a few years ago and got me into some Brooks Addiction shoes. When I have veered off of that brand and gotten cheaper ones, etc., I end up getting IT Band issues and other running pains. I've learned my lesson. Now I just walk in and ask for the Brooks Addiction style in my size and we're good to go. I'm a way quicker shoe shopper than Carter. But that doesn't mean my shoes were cheaper!

When the hard stuff was done, we opted to stop for lunch and I decided, at that point, I would just take a half day off -- with the half occurring n the middle of the day. So we ate lunch at the DQ Chill and Grill or is it Grill and Chill? Either way, had food and I did not, for the record, have ice cream. See, I don't have it every day!

Will power and/or empty wallet will do that for you.

Got home and got some actual work done. Jim left at 4:30 to go to Marshfield for our nephew Colin's race. There was a lot of rain that delayed a few things but last I heard at this late hour, he was holding his own in the feature race.

Carter and I went to a potluck picnic with some friends. It was in a shelter so it could go on, rain or shine. Now this is where that willpower did NOT come into play. My meal was healthy. But I also had a "healthy helping" of scrumptious dessert.

Oh well, I'm pretty sure my running shoes will just burn calories by looking at them.

For what I paid for them, they should. Right?

No comments: