Monday, July 15, 2013

Marathon in Athens

We have a touch of Greek in north-central Wisconsin. The cities (and I use the term loosely) of Athens and Marathon are appropriately located 26 miles apart.

Tonight,  however,  the Marathon was IN Athens.

Our Rudolph (red) team was taking on the Bluejays. We were ahead right away and even though we were up by a half-dozen runs,  I knew from experience we could never have "too big" a lead.

Unfortunately,  I was right.  We got runs. They got runs. And before we knew it, the sun was setting on the unlit field and we were tied 12-12. We pretty much had reached our time limit but we were only in the fourth inning! Definitely a marathon session in progress.

We got a run to put us up 13-12. They answered and went up 14-13. Luckily we scored in our final at bat, then held on to get a rare win (16-14)  -- under the leadership of fill-in Coach Austin, no less.

Whew. All I needed was two crabby guys on the long ride home!

Myself,  I was happy either way. Yes, my ice cream radar kicked in and I found the local ice cream shoppe. I don't have to admit we were lost when we first got to town, do I?  I mean it all worked out in the end, right?

And I needed it. Game time temperature was 88 degrees.  Unless they fudge that to draw in customers. It didn't feel like I was being mislead.

While I was waiting for hubby's burger and fries (I'm not completely selfish) I saw a sight that indicated we were not close to home.


I tried to chase them down for some Amish Cashew Crunch,  but I knew I didn't have the horsepower.

Ha. Now you know what happens after a marathon ballgame. Mama gets tired and pun-y.

And we still have 26 miles to go!

No comments: