Monday, July 8, 2013

Tourist Attractions

Part of the fun of the mission trip was seeing new people, places and things. As a trained picture-taking scrapbooker, I did not let the fact that I was driving prohibit me from capturing these. (Don't worry, parents, I've learned to do this with both hands on the wheel!)

More from our trip...

For charging us $1.90 to drive on their roads, I found driving through Illinois was not worth that. Pretty boring so I had plenty of time to concentrate on keeping track of our pace car -- Pastor Josh's van with the personalized TX FITE plates. Yup, he's from Texas originally. He was in his glory with those 3 churches from Texas!

My first time in Missouri. Ever! Couldn't wait to see what the state had to Show Me!

St. Louis was our halfway point so it was always good to get there -- safely.

This is the church where we stayed in St. Louis. It had a wing off to the left side that included a gymnasium and a youth room (where we slept).
Actually, if you look on the map, it is technically in the suburb of Florissent. Unfortunately, that is not close to where my aunt and uncle live. If it had been 15 minutes away instead of 45-60, I would have tried to connect. As it was, I just saw them at my dad's funeral so it was different than if it had been a few years.

Downtown St. Louis coming right up!

As I previously mentioned, we did not go up in the arch. Just looked at from the outside and it was cool. I was OK with that decision!

Downtown is very cool with lots of neat architecture. Unfortunately, I only had time to take pictures out the car window as we had things to do!

We spent several hours that first night (my birthday) at the City Museum. It's hard to describe. Just a lot of really unique metal sculptures and ladders to climb and crawl on, plus caves on the inside and a museum with some St. Louis artifacts. I only had my camera phone on me but here are a few pictures so you get the idea.















Another new "adventure" was trying out new Southern traditions -- in the form of food. I already mentioned the always-present Sweet Tea yesterday. What I was most excited about was eating at my first Sonic!


Look at that selection!! Decisions... Decisions...
Yes, that is Peanut Butter & Bacon you see! On this particular pit stop, no one in our group tried it. Later on, during one of our evening stops at the one in Booneville, though, Carter and Pastor Josh both tried one! They said was OK. Not anything too weird. I tried Cheesecake and a Coconut Cream Pie one. Thumbs up to both!

This was also my first time in the state of Arkansas, too! Guess I never really had a reason to go! It does have its beauty in the Ozark region, that's for sure!


Cool road through the cut rock!


"Mountains" in the distance.
 


Our evening field trip up Mount Magazine. Beautiful view of the Ozarks. It was a bit hazy, though, so my pictures left something to be desired.
 



Our church group.
Our church group being silly.
My one hug allowed that week. Ha.
 
After the lookout, we continued on that evening to Cove Lake in the state park, where the kids swam and I schooled two pastors on the mini-golf course. Three holes in one, baby! I had the putt-putt angels on my side!
Some of our group swimming -- with Carter far right.
Oh how the girls picked on Carter some days. You know he loved every minute of it!!
One night we had a field trip to a farm... something new for all us Wisconsinites! The kids played Frisbee and football and other games before we had a devotional time.



Saw this Texas longhorn across the field! I wish he would have come closer since I did not have my good camera with the zoom with me!
Also saw a Texas unicorn!


Our treat that night was s'mores!
Yummy tasting in any area of the country!
On Wednesday night, we attended a service at a Pentecostal church. Remember, we were in the Bible Belt with a big cowboy belt buckle. Didn't see a Lutheran or Catholic church anywhere! On Thursday night, we had a community picnic. Here is some of our group enjoying their dessert.

After the picnic, we enjoyed Fourth of July fireworks at the Booneville park.

Friday morning it was back to St. Louis, where we enjoyed pizza and ice cream. Then Saturday, it was up through Illinois again. Their wind farms are kind of cool. Notice I am still following the blue van!
A truly WELCOME sign on Saturday afternoon!!
And just 2,215.9 miles later and we are home safe and sound, with much to be grateful for and many memories to cherish!

No comments: