Saturday, August 20, 2016

August Showers Bring Yellow Flowers

I'm so glad my friend Christine and I decided two years ago to share our love for reading by starting a book club.

It's a manageable size of 8 women. While I know all of them from my various worlds, they all didn't know each other. Now it's like we've all known each other forever. When we meet at the coffee house one Saturday a month, we end up talking about the book, but definitely take time to catch up on each other's lives since it's rare all 8 of us can make it.

After a good night of showers, this morning there were 7 of us talking about the book Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibraim. This book follows two characters, Mattie and Lisbeth, and is set in the mid-1800s in Virginia. Mattie is a slave woman for Lisbeth's family and is called in to be a wet nurse to young Elizabeth (Lisbeth). Forced to leave her own son just a few months old, Mattie is moved into the house and raises the young girl, almost as her own, for several years and loves her like her own.

While some of the plot centered around slavery in the south before the Civil War, there were themes about the importance of family and loving children who are not your own. It was appropriate then that after the meeting I headed over to Black River Falls to visit my nephew Tony – not my flesh and blood, but he holds a very special place in my heart.

In the book, the "yellow crocus" flower symbolized spring and a period of rebirth and renewal. Tony is experiencing his yellow crocus now as he prepares for a new life of sorts in less than two months. Like the season of spring, there is always a chance to start fresh. Start over.

We had a good visit and I look forward to watching him bloom, while loving and supporting him as if he were my own. That's what family does.

Just like our wonderful group of book club "sisters," we've got each other's back in all seasons.



No comments: