Thursday, August 25, 2016

Old Habits...


Just because old habits die hard doesn't mean all old habits are bad.

Today was the start of the Assumption Royals cross country season. Nope, don't have a kid on the team anymore. Nope, don't have time to be away from work. Nope, still wouldn't miss it.

The Pittsville meet last year marked the first time our boys won a meet. They then went onto a successful season and return to state. So it's an exciting launching point for the season. And, since it's only 20 minutes away, why not go, cheer the boys and girls on (it's not like I don't know them all)? Plus, I can take a few pictures (old habit) and show some new parents the ropes.

At the starting gun, I was glad I was there. Got to see the boys cruise to victory (6 runners in the top 15) and encourage the girls to keep working hard. By the time our boys hoisted the winning trophy over their heads 2 hours later, though, I was ready to cry.

This isn't my place anymore.

Life is moving on. School sports are moving on. Graduated seniors are moving on.

I am no longer a Royal parent. I am now just a Royal fan. That is a startling transition!

I don't need to take photos at meets. I don't need to organize the snack schedule. There are new Royal parents (and veteran ones) to take on those roles. I need to let them do that. I need to let go. And that is hard. I miss being needed.

Of course, I won't miss hounding you to buy Royal cards, butter braids and Advent calendars. And you probably won't miss that either.

But when I look out at the starting line for a race or at the marching band on the football sidelines, I am going to miss the hell out of seeing my favorite Royal. That's an old habit that's going to cause me quite a few tears before it goes away.

Dang.

1 comment:

Lorna said...

Robyn, once a Royal parent, ALWAYS a Royal Parent! Love Ya!