Sunday, August 21, 2016

Fully Armed

Between 6.25 miles of kayaking and 9 holes of golf, hubby and I may not be able to move our arms tomorrow. But, of course, it was worth it!

Weather was cool today – like low 60s – and it seemed rain was inevitable. Somehow, though, the neighborhood kayak crew escaped. We had a hearty breakfast at Misty's Menu to give us energy. OK, maybe carb-loading on homemade toast and Eggs Benedict isn't the normal plan, but it worked for us.

We ended up traveling to get into the river up in the Stevens Point and Junction City area. Basically put in at a boat landing and made our way around islands and up and down tributaries – and fought some healthy winds.

Every time we've gone kayaking, I have seen lily pads and no white flowers, but today I hit the jackpot! So that was my big photo thrill for awhile. I'll just let the pictures do the talking. My arms are too tired to type. (Just a side note: All these were taken with my phone, which I thankfully did not drop in the river!)




Calm and reflective up in the tributaries.

You can even see Mike and Cindy's faces in the water!

We started out with long sleeves but were quickly warmed up with all the paddling. And the sun!




A little lagoon to check out.

Remember those damsel flies I told you about? They were paying a visit. First landing on Jim, then me. This damsel posed long enough for me to freak out at her face!

I warned you!

But that wasn't the only winged wonder we saw. Thankfully, I did have my "real" camera with because I couldn't exactly sneak up on this eagle. Oh I tried to get close but was so busy looking at him that I didn't realize I was in shallow water. Trying to get myself unstuck from the sand bar can't be done quietly. Luckily I got a few pictures before he flew off...





Pretty darn cool, eh? It was quite the worthwhile excursion!

When we got home, Jim's sister and dad were planning to golf so we joined them at Homestead Golf Course and played 9 holes. We walked it so we finally got some steps. But I didn't really need any more moves with my arms.

I think we'll both sleep pretty well tonight. Carter is having a fire with friends in the back yard and I probably won't even hear them over my own snoring... or grunts of pain when I lay on my arms too long!



No comments: