Friday, August 26, 2016

Roller Coaster

Hop aboard the emotional roller coaster! Tickets are free! But I'll take payments in hugs and kind "there, there" words of support.

My blog last night accidentally opened up a dam. I was going to say faucet, but dam is much more applicable. The more I was thinking about the end of the school era and the impending empty nest, the more I struggled to hold back the dam gates.

I failed. I was a sobbing, melting mess in no time.

Poor hubby. I come out to the living room with a mascara and tear-stained face and he probably thought something tragic happened. As I hiccupped through the "our baby's leaving for college soon," he had the courtesy to pause the TV show he was watching and restrain from rolling his eyes. I appreciate that. But I probably wouldn't have seen it through my tears anyway.

And I couldn't close up that damn dam.

Needless to say, when you cry yourself to sleep, you wake up with your eyes just about stuck together and pretty darn puffy. I imagine I looked like a hot mess when I arrived at work, too, but no one dared point it out. I'm guessing I look as unstable as I feel.

Why do moms cry when their babies are ready to leave the nest?


Because this is the boy I see as he packs up his essentials for college – like bluetooth speakers and shaving cream – and leaves his Little League trophies behind.

A boy who is probably on his own roller coaster ride right now, and I have to remember that. As much as I hate heights, you know this isn't a thrill ride for me. Probably time I keep an eye on the little guy, be sure he's strapped in safely and surviving his own ups and downs.

Am I brave enough to let go of the safety bar with one hand so I can at least grab a Kleenex?



No comments: