Wednesday, August 31, 2016

The Sun Sets on August


With the sun setting earlier each night, there aren't many opportunities left to kayak after work. Not for a few hours at a time anyway.

Tonight, as the sun set on the month of August, we got out with the neighbors. We put the 'yaks in by the Biron dam but decided against paddling around the big island. Typically, we don't have to worry about the sun setting on us. This time of year we do. And we don't want to get caught on the river in the dark when boats without lights may speed by. So we didn't go as far, but still had a great time and saw a few things....

All summer I complained I hadn't seen any turtles napping on logs in the sun. Finally see our first one and that bugger jumps (or gracefully falls) off the log before I can float close enough to take a picture.

I also tried stealth moves to sneak up on the crane, but he took off as soon as my bright green kayak was in sight.

I was somewhat prepared so at least I got a photo of him escaping. Or is it pterodactyl?

Saw this big ol' bee hive, too. And yes, it was active. And yes, I made sure my deathly allergic hubby steered clear of it. Wow.

The cool thing about beating the sunset back to the boat landing is obvious. You get to see the sun set! It sort of altered between yellows and pinks, then both.

Pretty calm tonight, so got this reflective shot as we neared the boat landing by the Biron dam and paper mill.

Ball of fire!

Final view of August! Where did the summer go? I am sure we'll have some more paddling time, just on the weekends in the daytime. Not that I want to rush summer, but am looking forward to seeing autumn colors from the water. If the leaves are anything like the colorful sunsets, we're in for a treat.

Thank you, August.


No comments: