Sunday, August 28, 2016

Kid Napping


Don't tell the authorities by I kinda, sorta kidnapped my son today. Hey, when your nest is close to emptying, desperate times call for desperate measures.

Somehow I ended up being the one paying the ransom, though. So at least you know I am not cut out to be a career criminal.

The premise of a roadtrip was that Carter still needed school supplies – mainly 5 notebooks and a backpack that will hold his new laptop. Could we have gotten that in Rapids or even Stevens Point? Maybe. But that wouldn't be much time in the car.

Let's go to Appleton!

Actually, the attraction for the Little Apple was the Jansport outlet store. I had it on good authority from my dental hygienist last week that they have discounted UW-Platteville items there. She was correct! Carter got some sweatpants. I got a hoodie (because that's just what I do). Then he got a bunch of other deep discounted, non-Platteville items. All totaled, the ransom, er bill, was $100 for 8 items of clothing. Not bad!

We did end up finding a backpack and those notebooks at the Wal-Mart in Appleton, too. Scout's honor we could not find a correct-sized backpack at the Wal-Mart here. I swear!

After shopping, it was time for the mother-son hot wings challenge at B-Dubs!


I sort of made that up as an excuse for a selfie together. When you're a kidnapper, you've gotta be manipulative that way! I did finish all my boneless wings – mango haberno and Asian zing – and Carter made pretty good progress on his 3 flavors. I had a small order so that's why I could finish mine. Not claiming I won the challenge, but I was smart enough to order milk with the meal. That's what tames the heat, in case you didn't know that trick.

We were both full enough that there was no need or desire to stop at King Cone on the way home – even though we passed 2 of their locations! So I could not prolong the captivity. Plus he had to get home for a fantasy football draft.

For the record, my kid napped on the way home so it was a legitimate heist. I managed to steal him and a few hours of his time today.

In return, he stole my heart from Day One.

No comments: