Thursday, April 27, 2017

Almost Anything Goes


After the week and month I've been having, I really haven't gotten the opportunity for me time. Or "we" time with family or friends.

Right before I left work today I got a text from my friend Becky asking me if I wanted to go see the musical at Lincoln High School tonight. I knew I had a freelance project to get done, like every other night this week, but I responded:

I really don't have time... But I will MAKE time because I miss you!

Truth. I haven't seen her since Camp Crop-A-Lot in February. And we only live 1 1/2 miles apart. But that thing called "life" gets in the way. And that is usually a combination of work and kids. So we made a date.

Neither of us had seen the Anything Goes musical before in any format. We like musicals. I've seen a ton from high school and community theaters to touring Broadway productions and, of course, movies. Knew nothing about Anything Goes.

Was fun to recognize some songs – think I Get A Kick Out Of You, It's Delovely and Anything Goes – and really neat to see some talented young artists I know. The girl I mentored for confirmation a few years back did a great job singing and dancing. I was very, very impressed with all the singing.


And, of course, hanging out with an old friend was the best part!

It capped off a day of Anything Goes. We had an office full of rugrats today. OK, let me re-phrase that. It was Take Your Child To Work Day so we had more than 60 kids running around our office. Well, to be fair, they were pretty well-behaved and the company provided many activities for them so their parents could actually get some work done.

All these people had their cute little kids – and I'm over here with Flat Carter. He did get to meet everyone, plus sat in on a department meeting. I also made sure my co-workers kept an eye on him when I had to leave for the restroom. On the flipside, I ate the cookies designated for the kids.

Hey, Anything Goes. Right?

No comments: