Monday, April 17, 2017

His Last Chores


The animals are fed, he's baled the hay, the chores are complete, it's the end of the day. My Uncle Allan finished his chores and hung up his pitchfork on April 11 at the age of 87.

It was strange irony that the night before, I posted a picture – for National Siblings Day – of my 7 siblings and me from my baptism day, when Uncle Allan and Aunt Betty became godparents to 5 of us. In the photo above, I am sitting on Uncle Allan's lap, my twin Raylene is on Aunt Betty's lap and the other godchildren seated in front of the pretty curtains are (from left) RoAnn, Ron and Rachel.

Our Aunt Betty (my dad's sister) died 18 years ago, just after Carter's first birthday.

Farming was their life. They milked cows, raised is, chickens and beef cattle, plus planted and other crops. It was always an adventure to visit their "century" farm in east-central Minnesota (Harris). We especially liked visiting after they adopted one of our dog's puppies!

My mom and all 8 of us kids made it to the funeral today. I got to see some cousins on my dad's side of the family that I haven't seen in quite awhile. It's unfortunate to only see relatives at funerals. Thankfully, there's at least one family wedding this summer that should bring many of us together on a happier note.

In the meantime, hug your parents, family and other loved ones. Treasure each day you have with them.

And each day you are able to do those chores.

No comments: