Saturday, October 27, 2018

Finishing Strong


I swear one out of five years the weather is decent on the last Saturday in October. This was not that year.

This weekend is historically the state cross country meet – which conveniently takes place at the golf course five minutes from our house. I knew it was going to be cool today. But the rain was predicted to be done before noon.

Had book club first thing. Raining. Did a little shopping. Raining. Had hubby drop me off at the race. Raining.

Well, drizzling is more accurate. But still I felt a bit like Mary Poppins – only in running shoes, not fancy boots. And carry a camera, not a magic carpet bag.

Glad it did not deter the Royals fans from cheering on our boys team. I felt bad for all the runners having to slog through wet grass and a bit of mud. Our guys did pretty well, though. Two of them finished in the top 15 and the team took 9th out of 16. I guess they were predicted to go 10th, but the finished 1 point ahead of that 10th place team!

If you don't follow cross country, it's probably confusing. Just know that there's a great group of guys who had their last run for Assumption High School and they did us proud. As the retiring coach told me before the starting gun went off, "We've been to state seven of the last nine years. That's pretty awesome."

It sure is. Way to finish strong!

Bring on the sports lull until basketball. My Mary Poppins umbrella and I are OK with that.


No comments: