Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Double the Losses but Double the Fun


The Twins had their first walk-off home run by a pinch hitter in 13 years to beat the Braves. But that was Monday. Before me – and my apparent bad luck – strolled into town.

Spoiler alert: The Braves beat the Twins quite handily last night and today.

Another spoiler alert: This Twins fan still had a blast!


It took some planning a few months back, but last night there were 28 of us from my family attending the Twins game. Mostly Twins fans. But we'll get to that.


I'm basically related to just about everyone in this picture. And that's not everyone. My sister Rachel hadn't arrived yet. My niece Beth took the picture. And my friendly hubby is way up top on the right in the white hand, talking to his new friend. A Braves fan!

As you can see, my brother-in-law Paul and sister Rayna (lower left) are Braves fans. But they did live in the Atlanta area for a decade, so they get a free pass. A few of my other siblings were somewhat noncommittal. Just there for the camaraderie I guess!


So it was a great date in "my happy place" – with Jim and two dozen family members.


Thanks to our seats in a busy area in right field, I got into the Jumbotron action right away. There I am at left, pretending to be supporting the bean bag tossers. Don't judge me. By the end of the night, pretty much everyone in our family made the Jumbotron. It was unreal!

And then our name was up there, too! See lower right part of scoreboard:


I was wondering if I should've gone to today's game a bit early to sign autographs!


The happy Braves fans: Paul and Rayna.

Sister Romey and brother-in-law Rick (his first time at Target Field)

Sister Renell sharing popcorn with a few of her grandkids.

Sister RoAnn and I enjoying Pizza Luce before the game!

Brother Ron and his son David (who could walk over from work).

Nephew David and wife Sara enjoying a night out without child!


Us twins at the Twins game!


Twin and hubby Steve. I think the first time at Target Field for both of them.

Niece Beth and husband Anders – also enjoying a childless night out.

 Nephew Travis and his girlfriend and her mom.

Our usual selfie with niece Caryn, including photobomber niece Ashley and her boyfriend in the background!

Even though we lost 12-7, we had so much fun. The Twins still hit 3 homeruns so that was cool. Plus all the Jumbotron moments were entertaining, too. I didn't leave there feeling like we lost. Just had a nice night with the fam.

Today was like deja vu...

Stayed at Rayna and Paul's in Hudson last night and took the day off for the 12:10 p.m. game. Tried to get some luck by visiting TC Bear. Didn't work.

Here's what I was up against: Two Braves fans and the starting pitcher for the Braves is on one of Jim's fantasy baseball leagues. I couldn't erase my bad luck!

Still had a great time, though. Since Paul and I were reminiscing at breakfast about the Hrbek play in the 1991 World Series, we stopped for a photo. Notice we both have one finger up... but mine is the nice one. Once a Braves fan, always one, I guess.


And we had great seats. A little hot in the sun for the first few innings, but we could see the action – including a Twins triple play! Have never seen one in person and there it was, right in front of us. How cool!!!


Lady, did you see THAT? Or were you too busy crocheting? No words. Sigh.


Unfortunately, we didn't start scoring until the 6th inning when we were down 7-0. Although we did score 7 more, the Braves also kept scoring. Ended up losing 11-7. But I still had fun. It's just cool to be at a sporting event where you're cheering for the same team as most of the people there!

Thanks to Rayna and Paul for organizing the fun. Driving back home tonight I felt like we were gone for a Saturday and Sunday and tomorrow would be Monday. I don't mind starting my Monday on a Thursday and having my Friday one day later! 

Pretty sure I deserve that for enduring these losses, don't you?

Go Twins!!


No comments: