Tuesday, August 27, 2019

You Pick the Ending


Imagine sitting in a movie theater watching a one-time showing of a great movie... and the projector eats up the rest of the film halfway through. What if you were reading a single-print page-turner of a story and the book was missing the last third of its pages?

How will these stories end? Tragically? Happily? Do we just let our imaginations run wild?

That was me today. IRL (in real life, as they say).

We had golf league after work tonight. It was very, very windy and we heard storms were in the works, but it was so sunny we figured we'd be good. And then, because I was golfing pretty well (for me), I put it out of my mind.

I had just done my par dance – I get them so rarely, I have to have a dance – on hole No. 3 (par 3) when I hit my best drive ever on No. 4, a par 4 which does involve getting over water. Twice. I got on the green with my second shot!


Guess what's in the hole? My ball after I sunk a 30-foot birdie putt! I just fell down and laid on my back in disbelief. I haven't needed a birdie dance in ages. Many ages!

Next hole was much the same. I was actually putting for eagle. No luck there, but still feeling pretty good. Then we got to the next tee box and our view was darkening.


Because we have the convenience these days of looking at the radar on our smart phones, we knew our time was limited. Had my longest drive ever on this hole, too. Missed my par putt, then...

BWAARH! BWAARH! The storm sirens were sounding. Lightning spotted. Evacuate the course.

But... but... wait. I'm having my best round ever! How was it going to end?

Reminiscent of the Bishop's round in Caddyshack, I wanted to keep playing! I was totally on pace to finish in my 40s (which has happened less than 5 times in my life). But I also could have gotten overconfident and imploded the last 3 holes, too. We'll never know. Will we?

I say we pick our own ending. My golf partner and I agreed I could assume I golfed well the last few holes and finished around 46 maybe. Ha. I'll take it! Better than a tragic ending.

What stories are you struggling with in your life right now? I say rip out the pages and write your own ending. You may need to invent your own par dance, too!

No comments: