Sunday, October 20, 2019

Thank God Guardian Angels Work Sundays

It was probably not coincidence that both hubby and I were in our respective churches and praying for our loved ones between 8-9 a.m. today. At least one of them for sure needed our prayers.

And thank God guardian angels work on Sundays to answer!

I needed a little help myself when I answered the phone and my baby says there was a bad accident but he was OK. After my heart stopped for a moment, it was thumping so loud in my chest I wasn't sure if I was hearing him right or getting all the details. But he said he'd call me back later as he was currently in an ambulance getting checked over.

Raise your hand if any of you other parents are having a panic attack with me!

Needless to say, we hit the road by 10 a.m. and headed to Platteville. Our boy was still shook up when we got there 3 hours later, which was some 5 hours after the crash. Here's what unfolded in the dense this morning...

Carter was headed to work in Potosi. It was so foggy, he missed the turn he usually makes for a shortcut. That's why the stop sign up ahead took him by surprise and why he had to slam on his brakes. But couldn't make the stop before colliding with a van coming from his right.

In a split second, airbags deployed (thank goodness) while the van sheared off the front of his car and then rolled over, landing on its wheels, and the old Civic spun around to the opposite side of the intersection, losing most of the contents of its front end. Both vehicles are totaled.


Yet somehow, the family in the van and Carter were all able to walk away with no injuries. I know he'll be sore from the seatbelt and airbag, but nothing is broken. He still can't believe it and neither can we. Especially after we went to the tow yard to get his belongings out of the car.

Viewer discretion advised here. It's a pretty scary sight for this mom to handle anyway.

Where is the front end?!



Random Civic parts picked up off the road and stored for towing.
The front bumper, etc, in the back seat.


The total, totaled package.
What a mess. And what a miracle. So grateful to God that all involved are OK. That Carter appreciates the miracle and the lesson to not take life for granted for one split second. And that we could gently hug some of the fear and stress out of our baby.

And feed him pizza.

Thank God guardian angels AND pizza makers work on Sundays. Just as I concluded my blog last night: Countin' my blessings!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whew! How panic-inducing! So glad everyone came out OK. But ... did you feed him Steve's Pizza? :)

Robyn Austin said...

Yes we did!!