Wednesday, October 16, 2019

That Was You, Dad


We’re at the age where a lot of friends are losing a parent or both. And just because I’ve gone through it, doesn’t make it any easier. Especially when it’s their dad.

Our dear friend Cindy lost her dad a few days ago and the funeral was today. I worked from home in the morning so I could attend. I know from experience how much it matters to have friends and loved ones by your side.

I also know that I need to put any grief or anxiety aside in these situations because it’s not about me. That doesn’t stop the memories from surfacing, though.

It was a nice service and, just like my dad’s, plenty of laughs because her dad (our dads) were very special, friendly, generous men! Of course there were tears, too. And How Great Thou Art gets me every time. It always creates a lump in my throat and makes me think of Dad and my grandmas, too.

Cindy and family, you'll never forget your dad. You'll never stop loving him and missing him. But eventually your memories will fill the hole he left in your hearts. And you'll feel him with you. Maybe it's seeing a cardinal or eagle. Maybe a song on the radio. Maybe hearing a turn of phrase that only he used to say.

That's when you look up and tell him, "I know that was you, Dad. Thanks for watching over me."

Love and hugs to all of you missing someone today!

No comments: