Wednesday, February 26, 2020

A Slice of Piety


If you pay attention and really listen, you're always going to learn something when you go to church. Or have some message reinforced.

I definitely had that at Ash Wednesday service tonight.

During Lent, there's often talk about what people are giving up. Not as much in my Lutheran circles, but enough. Our gospel tonight from Matthew basically told us to zip our lips and just do it. Don't be pious. Don't be braggarts about our accomplishments. And certainly don't call attention to our suffering. Really, we are so far from legitimate suffering, when you think about it!

Verses 6:16-18: When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

So I don't need to – and shouldn't – call attention to what I am willing to give up for 40 days. Or if I'm not doing anything at all. On the flip side, I'll have to have God help me not judge others for what they are or aren't doing.

During the next 40 days or pretty much all 365 days of the year.

May the next 40 days be blessed, learning experiences for all of us!

No comments: