Thursday, February 20, 2020

Dinner and a Show


Last night was the third show in my season ticket package of 6 touring Broadway shows at the Fox Cities Performing Arts Center in Appleton. Since my usual partner was under the weather, my friend Brenda filled in at the last minute to join me.

We ate at The Good Company – so good – and just walked the two blocks from there to the show. Pretty chilly last night so it was a brisk walk!


Since the Miss Saigon musical takes place in Vietnam during the war, the local Vietnam veterans had displays of artifacts there. I like how Appleton does a great job adding some depth to the shows. I mean it's winter. We're all in the lobby area for an hour, so they might as well entertain and educate us.

I had heard of Miss Saigon but didn't know the whole story line. This isn't a real spoiler since it's been around 30 years. Through music, it tells the tragic tale of a doomed romance involving an Asian woman abandoned by her American lover. There are some funny and entertaining parts, but I'm not gonna deny it was sad. And knowing this happened frequently for real, that's sad, too.

But we both enjoyed it. I rank it behind the first two shows I saw this season, but a Broadway production is always, always worth seeing if you can. The talent is incredible and the changing set and scenery are amazing to watch.

Worth getting home at midnight and trying to recover all day at work! Good thing today was my "Friday."

No comments: