Sunday, July 25, 2021

Some Odd Ducks

We had three choices on this beautiful 80s and sunny Sunday. We could have done some yard work. We could have stayed indoors in the AC and flipped channels between golf, baseball, and the Olympics. Or we could enjoy the afternoon paddling with friends.

I'm so glad we chose option 3! 

Our friends Mike and Cindy took us to Dexterville over by Pittsville (both are west of Rapids about 20 minutes). We put in our kayaks on Lake Dexter and paddled up the Yellow River aways. It was pretty calm so I really don't know how far we went before turning around an hour or so later. Very nice! 

Saw some weird, er different, things though.


Couldn't get close before he swooped off, but we learned this is a double-crested cormorant. A diving bird of sorts.




Our leaders Cindy...


And Mike (also the purveyor of snacks)!


When I got closer to this Canada Goose, I noticed his left wing was dragging. Guessing broken, but I don't know enough about that to be certain.


Can you tell from this angle? I don't know. Just hoping he can still swim at least!




Hello, Blue! Excited to see and creep up close to a blue heron on shore.






Eagles weren't sitting still today. I think we saw the same one multiple times.



The only other kayakers we saw were on the highway nearby.



Didn't share the water with any boats so I guess this means we shouldn't paddle too fast!


Pretty calm at times!


What is happening with the turtle on the right? Is he shedding parts of his shell?


And is he pooping or some other odd turtle process – I also know nothing about?

Lotta mysteries out there today. But cool to see different stuff and enjoy a relaxing summer day! 

Now I'm gonna hunker down and watch the Olympics. Probably no mysteries from that today for most people, but I've kept off my phone and other news sources. Gonna watch my gymnastics and hope for a great show!

No comments: