Friday, November 11, 2022

How the Week Flies


My week has been flying much like these inflatable kitty kites I happened upon on the way home from work the other day. It was windy enough they could have been a tangled mess, but somehow the kite engineer (flyer or whatever) kept them separate and even in a straight line.

My schedule? Not so much.

Yesterday was busy after work because I was shooting hoops. Shooting pictures of hoops, that is. Assumption middle school boys had their first home games hosting Pacelli. Both our teams just squeaked by for victories.

I was a little out of practice shooting photos in the gymnasium with its low lighting and clustered action. I was able to post some 60 pictures of the 7th-graders last night – then went to bed instead of blogging – and got 80+ pictures of the 8th-graders posted after work today.

I actually saw several of those 8th-graders again tonight because they also played middle school football this fall and were invited to attend the high school end-of-season football banquet. I was also invited. Wasn't sure why until I got there.

After a cool season recap video featuring lots of my photos, they wanted to thank me for my dedication shooting pictures at almost all the games. I got a nice certificate of appreciation signed by the senior players' parents. And a cute coffee mug that looks like a camera lens. I was really touched. That was so unnecessary. I just love giving back, that's all.

Banquet lasted until 9 p.m. But that's OK. It was nice to sit and enjoy it without having to do anything besides eat and clap.

It was also a nice distraction after dealing with another death of a loved one. My Aunt Gwen, who has been in hospice for the past few weeks, died at 3 this morning. We thought it fitting that she finally "let go" on Veterans' Day since she did a ton of work for veterans in her lifetime. Quite a special lady!


Here's my twin and I with Aunt Gwen at the Hedberg Christmas party in 1978. So weird to think I only have two uncles left from my dad's 8 siblings. And all are gone on my mom's side. I don't feel old enough to have all these vacancies. 

But they all sure had lives well-lived. May we all take time in the whirlwind that is our lives to be sure ours are too. Including time to sit back and relax and just enjoy the show. Whatever your "show" is.

Be careful out there!

No comments: