Saturday, February 9, 2008

Balancing Act

2008 is shaping up to be a big year. Somewhere between Leap Day and the presidential election will fall the Summer Olympics in Beijing. As much as I love the Olympics, I usually don't get fired up about them this early. That changed this week when we went to a gymnastics meet.

Yes, I'm a typical girl. I love watching the gymnastics in the summer games and figure skating in the winter venue.

The other night, Jim, Carter and I attended a dual meet between the Wisconsin Rapids and Stevens Point high schools. Some longtime friends of Jim's have a daughter who is doing exceptionally well this year so we thought it would be neat to see her perform and lend our support.

I've never been to a gymnastics meet -- in fact, my only point of reference is the Olympics -- so I was pretty excited. Carter wouldn't have minded staying home to play PS2, but I think he would have to admit he was a little impressed.

I think the reason I like watching gymnastics (and figure skating) is that I am in awe. I know there is no way in heck I could ever physically do anything close to what they do. I'm not a complete clutz, but it does take some effort for me to be coordinated (or at least look it). I admire these girls for what they could do -- their physical abilities and their resolve. If they fell off that beam, they got right back on it and kept going. There were no quitters.

It turned out to be a pretty close match with Point edging Rapids by 2.5 points. Katie, the girl we went to cheer on, finished 3rd in the overall. She obviously hoped to do a little better but she is going into the "playoffs" in the coming weeks with a positive attitude that she can perfect her mistakes and succeed.

I think that's another reason I both respect and envy athletes. They don't lose sight of their goals. When obstacles are thrown in their path, they find a way to get over, around or past them. We could learn a lot from that type of dedication. I'm looking forward to seeing more if it in China this summer.

No comments: