Monday, February 18, 2008

Snow Day (sort of)

The only good thing about this weekend's snowstorm was that my "scrapbooking weekend" with my twin was extended another day.

Sunday morning it was evident already that it would be dangerous traveling. She decided to stay another day since her daughter didn't have school today and we had off for Presidents' Day as well. Good thing. We've gotten 10-12 inches since then. Like we needed it!

I'm glad my sister was able to stay. We got lots of "work" done yesterday. I'm also glad we had a "snow day" today to recover. I'll have you know I am getting very good at operating that snowblower. If we get dumped on again while Jim is in sunny Las Vegas later this week, then I'll be set. Bring on the snow. (No, really, I don't want it. Please.)

I've heard lots of adults say they haven't seen a winter like this since they were kids. "Remember when the snow banks were taller than us?" Yes, I do remember. And, as you can see from this picture taken just a few minutes ago, we're getting close to that this year, too (and it's still snowing).

We loved the big snow banks. We used to burrow tunnels through them (considered dangerous, I'm sure) and build forts in them (you know, the '70s sunk-in living room variety). Those were the days I actually liked the snow. Didn't mind the cold so much either. How does that disappear when we become adults?

Probably because we got to play in the snow -- not endure the physical labor of moving it or, if it was really a lot, pay the grader man to come plow us out. Then we knew we were probably in for a snow day the next day! Yippee! A day to have fun outside and get on Mom's nerves inside. It's no wonder moms don't like snow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Robyn for having Ashley and I this weekend. Glad we had a place to stay instead of in a snowbank. It was so good to get 29 pages done for my Christmas album. Granted it has taken me 4 years or more to just do a Christmas album considering the only times I have worked on it before was when we went twice to Camp Crop A Lot together. Thanks for the inspiration. May you get your 45+ pages done this weekend to finish your 2006 album. Raylene

Anonymous said...

Wow, u can keep the snow down there. Grantsburg went a month or more without any snow, it all went east and south everytime. We have gotten a few inches at a time the last week, but nothing like Rapids and south. Tell Carter to have fun !!!! RN