Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

Thankfully, despite all the moves toward political correctness when it comes to Christmas parties at school, they have not done away with Valentine's parties.

I remember one year my twin and I were going to bring Valentine's cupcakes to school. We had them baked and frosted and were going to decorate them with those "Red Hots" candies. Well we waited too long and the frosting had hardened so the Red Hots didn't stick. They just fell off.

Our brilliant plan was to melt them on by using a hair dryer. That sort of did the trick. The next morning, though, Mom refused to let us take them to school. She thought they might have radiation (or something like that) in them from the dryer.

My how times have changed.

What hasn't changed is the party. Just like when I was in grade school, Carter had to create a container for his Valentines. In past years, they've just done these in class, pretty much settling on a decorated large envelope -- or Valentine's Pouch.

This year, Carter opted to do his at home, naturally waiting until Wednesday morning to tell me so we (I mean he) had one night to do this. He said he did not want to use a shoe box so I said maybe I could find some large envelopes or a smaller box at work. "That would be cool," he said. "I know you can add your crafty touch!" No way. I'll provide the supplies and you do it, I told him. (This was a big step for me because I loved trying to make the most creative Valentine's box in the class!)

In the end, I taped the wrapping paper on a box and let him do the rest. He did a mighty fine job, if I do say so myself. I know you can't see the writing but the quote by the boy's heart says: "I'm beating to fast!" and the other message says: "Drop more candy, please!"

We'll see what he comes home with. I'm sure there won't be any radioactive cupcakes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job Carter on your Valentine's Day box. I'm sure you conned a lot of the girls to give you candy, maybe you bribed them with a kiss. If you ever wonder why your Mom and Auntie Lene may be a little weird or off, it's because I'm sure we ate all those radioactive cupcakes. So tell your Dad and Uncle Steve that is why we are how we are. Have a great day! Love, Auntie Lene