Monday, February 11, 2008

Personal Foul :: Taunting

Yesterday's Pro Bowl marked the official end of the NFL football season. That's a good thing because I may have to hire one of the referees for Lent.

Would you like to know why? Let me tell you a little bit about taunting:

According to NFL rules, any flagrant acts or remarks that deride, mock, bait or embarrass an opponent are considered taunting. Taunting of an opponent is a foul under NFL playing rules and will be called by the game officials -- a 15-yard penalty -- plus the taunting player will be fined.

In our house, the new game in town is Mommy's Curse Board and Mr. Austin is guilty of taunting. I am trying to give up swearing for Lent. I am actually keeping a tally at home and at work so I can pay the "fine" in the end. Dollars for serious infractions and dimes for lesser ones. Apparently, I should have laid out the ground rules of fair play and sportsmanship when it comes to the other members of the household. Since I have been doing relatively well (if you consider $2.80 in 5 days doing well), Jim has decided to test me. Press my buttons. Bait me. Taunt me.

For example, if we had an in-house referee, he would have thrown a serious flag on hubby while I was vacuuming this weekend. My super-reliable Dyson quit on me a few times for no reason. Oh, I mean there was a real reason, Jim was unplugging it and plugging it back in (out of sight, down the hall) to see how I'd react! Thankfully, I kept my cool ... until I found out what he was up to. Then I used sign language to demonstrate my displeasure at his flagrant foul. Now he says that "sign" should cost me a buck.

What do ya think, ref?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Fine her Jim. Make her pay! There's no rule against being creative! :)

Anonymous said...

That's a bad husband! If he gave up chocolate for Lent and you left it everywhere to catch him, that would be mean. No difference, I say! Sorry Jim. Bobyn is my bud and I have her back on this one!

Ron Hedberg said...

Intentional taunting deserves a fine, perhaps five or ten dollars, or a chore of your choice if a household member.

Keep up the good work. At one time I fined myself one dollar per swear word/phrase (or equivalent attitude). A person quickly learns to pay attention. For some people it may take a higher fine/attention getter to be effective.

Thanks for all the great writing and sharing.

Brother Ron

Rayna Delaney said...

Robyn, You said that you are having to "pay" for your language. I don't recall you writing that you were fining yourself for inappropriate actions..... such as kickin' your hubby in the balls.... for such mean taunting. No anger here, right? Big, Mean, Sister #1

Anonymous said...

I suggest Jim gets a hefty fine, that is cruel to Robyn and the Dyson!! Dyson Rules!!!