Monday, February 4, 2008

The Bucket List

Call me anal retentive (and many people do), but I like to make lists. It's my attempt at being organized -- or at least appearing to be.

Throughout my childhood, I watched my mother make her daily lists of "Things to Do." I think she must have had the day on the list, like "Things to Do Monday," because each morning she'd start a new list, carrying over the items not crossed off the day before and adding new ones. I often thought (but never dared say, of course) that in the time it took her to rewrite the list in her meticulous, school teacher-like handwriting, she could have gotten something done on the list!

I keep a list of things to do, or tasks, at work but not so often at home. I definitely do not put a day at the top because some days I'm lucky to get one thing crossed off. The longer I keep the original list, the more things I get to cross off. Then it really looks like I've accomplished something! (That's probably a bit like cheating to the truly anal retentive list masters.)

This weekend I learned about a different kind of list. Hubby and I finally got to see the movie The Bucket List, which we both thoroughly enjoyed. In the movie, the two main characters, diagnosed with terminal illnesses, develop a list of things they'd like to do before they die -- or kick the bucket. Thus, the bucket list.

Naturally, everyone walking away from the theater is thinking about their own bucket lists. Jim and I discussed ours on the way home. I realized quickly I have lots of "seeing" things on my list versus "doing" things. I want to see Norway or Sweden and a few other places. But what do I want to do?

Do I want to do things that will address my fears like they did in the movie (Skydiving? Never!)? Or do I want to do things that will prove I accomplished something, that I was successful? Do I want to help others? Or do I just want to have fun?

So far on my list I have two things: Write a book. Learn to operate the snowblower.

Judging by today's forecast, I might get to cross one of those off sooner than I think. That's a pretty good start, huh? What's on your list?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

RICK AND I FINALLY HAD A DATE NIGHT AND SAW "THE BUCKET LIST" SAT NIGHT. FIRST MOVIE WE HAVE SEEN TOGETHER INA MOIVE THEATRE IN YEARS. I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT, IT HIT EVERY EMOTION IN ME. RICK LOVED THE FUNNY PARTS BUT HASN'T LET ME KNOW WHAT'S ON HIS LIST. I'M STARTING TO THINK ABOUT MINE, OF COURSE MINE IS ALL ABOUT SEEING THINGS TOO. HOPEFULLY, I WILL HAVE TO DO THINGS, TOO!!

ENJOY YOUR WRITING AS ALWAYS!

LUV, ROMEY