Friday, February 22, 2008

The Black Hole

By some strange coincidence, the same night as the lunar eclipse, our company email system shut down. I know (or do I?) that it was merely a coincidence, but I feel like it was something cosmic, sending us into this Black Hole of no communication that lasted all day Thursday and may not be resolved until late this afternoon.

What a strange vacuum we're in without email! We actually have to pick up the phone or walk all the way across the building to someone's desk to talk to them. Imagine that. Can we keep that up for another whole day?! (I'm not too concerned as I have off today and am packing for Camp Crop-A-Lot -- my yearly scrapbooking getaway!)

Despite the Black Hole effect, Carter and I did enjoy the lunar eclipse. At our house, the sky was perfectly clear so we had a great view from our sub-zero front deck. We set a timer and would go out and look at it every 5 minutes or so because that's all we could handle in the cold. (Why don't these things happen in the summer?) We used his telescope a few times, but could clearly view the "color transition" with the naked eye. Neat experience!

Speaking of Black Holes (talk about transition, ha ha), Carter has another one in his mouth. He had a super loose tooth last night but I just couldn't pull it out. Admittedly, I am the ultimate in squeamish about that sort of thing, but I did try. I told Carter to tell me if he lost it during the night so we'd make sure he didn't get blood on his pillow.

Really, I just didn't want to screw up the Tooth Fairy delivery again! Just to be safe, we've hired the job out. Seriously, someone else will play Tooth Fairy tonight. Since Jim is out of town and I am leaving town, Carter will be staying with our friends Scott and Jana. I warned them this morning about the big job tonight. This will give them good practice, though, for their son Will, who's almost 4 and has awhile to go before losing any teeth.

My fear is that they'll do such a good job (and who wouldn't compared to our debacle last time?!), that Carter will want to stay at their house every time he loses a tooth going forward! Whatever gets him believing again...

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

I so enjoy reading your blog about work, Carter and motherhood. Sometimes, I can see in my minds-eye you as a young nine-year-old whipper-snapper telling stories like this. Then, I have to pinch myself to remember that you are the MOTHER of a nine-year-old son. I know where Carter gets his funny sayings from.... YOU! Let us know how the "tooth fairy" does and if the morning sickness has gone away.