Friday, February 15, 2008

Photo ops

After my drive home from work today, I now understand why people with those camera phones enjoy the convenience. At a moment's notice, they can capture something beautiful or funny or just plain interesting.

Today, had I had one of those in my possession, I could have captured something that was both majestic and nauseating.

I saw from a distance that two birds were pecking at something at the edge of the road. As I got closer, really close, I saw it was two bald eagles feasting on a deer carcass. Since no one was behind me, I slowed the car to a crawl to observe.

The well-mannered carnivores were taking turns and while one ate, the other stood off to the side in the snow. That is the one I would have wanted to shoot (bad word choice) -- shoot a picture of. He did look majestic with the brilliant white snow behind him. I tried not to look at his partner gnawing away at his afternoon venison snack.

When I realized cars were coming, I had to get moving. I doubt I'll ever be close enough again to a bald eagle, let alone two, to get an actual picture of them. But thanks for letting me share the image in mind.

No comments: