Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Face value (or two-faced value?)

Call me naive, but I tend to assume the positive about people. I take their word at face value, never dreaming they'd be lying to me or manipulating me in some fashion. ... Until I get burned or have a rude awakening.

If you ever want to know what someone is really like, see how they act when they think no one is watching. Couple that with a power trip and it can get ugly.

I had a co-worker once who was the nicest guy in world to me. Then I saw him in a situation where he was the man in charge. I witnessed him walking all over the people "under him" and treating them like they weren't worthy of being the dirt on his shoes. It was really disappointing. I felt like I'd been duped.

My friend Tamara was telling me yesterday about her recent opportunity to meet some of the Democratic presidential candidates in Iowa. First, some background. She is a staunch Republican, while I tend to lean to the left.

During this press conference, she got to sit in on a meeting with John Edwards (still in it at the time) and Barack Obama. She said Edwards was personable and Obama was, in a word, powerful. He exuded so much confidence, she had a hard time concentrating (I think she's even going to vote for him!).

The interesting part was Hillary Clinton's appearance. She elected to appear via satellite rather than in person. Before the Q&A with reporters began, Tamara said there were a few moments the cameras were rolling and Hillary didn't know it. As Tamara put it, "She was barking orders to staffers and was a first-class *****!" When the press conference began, of course, she was sweet as pie.

On Sunday night, 60 Minutes aired interviews with both Obama and Clinton. When it was done, hubby and I said we still weren't sure which one we'd be voting for in the primary next week. Now it seems we have a clearer picture. Nothing like an honest moment to clear the air.

Now if only I could figure out this Roger Clemens business ...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hillary has her strengths and her faults. However, I can not help but wonder if the same situation would have occurred to any man, would they (media & public) have not looked upon it as a man managing his campaign (i.e. telling people what to do) versus a woman being a "bitch" & then doing a standard reverting to nice-isms when the camera rolled?? Women we know are "great" at screaming and yelling and then reverting to being super-sweet...... don't you remember Mom answering the phone so nice & polite two seconds after yelling at us?

Robyn Austin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robyn Austin said...

Good point. And perhaps Obama just hasn't been caught on tape. I still have 5 more days to research.