Thursday, February 28, 2008

Does 'young at heart' count?

We shall not regret the past nor close the door on it...

You know you're getting old when you are technically old enough to be the mother of one of your co-workers. Yikes.

Today is my friend Katy's birthday. She's 24. That means she was born in 1984. And that means she was born the same year I got my driver's license and was learning to type on those fancy electric typewriters in Mr. Lake's class.

Some of the older people at work (and I qualify) say they'd love to be 24 again. I'm not so sure. If I went back, would I be smart enough not to get my heart broken that summer? (And the few times after that?) Would I still be a party girl? Would I be more financially responsible?

As much as there are some moments from my wild, young and single days that I wouldn't mind re-living, I wouldn't go back and change anything -- even the mistakes. Some made my life hell at the time, but now I can say I learned from them. I wouldn't change my life decisions either -- professional, geographic or emotional. They all had to happen for me to meet and befriend some of the neatest people on the planet along the way and get me where I am today -- married to my best friend and the father of three incredible boys.

Nope, other than the gray hairs my "hair artist" makes disappear every other month, I wouldn't go back to being 24 for anything. Besides, 15 years later, I'm actually a few pounds lighter now. You don't hear me say that every day! Now if only they'd extend this Biggest Loser contest over a few years, I might have chance.

No comments: