Saturday, February 2, 2008

Groundhog Day

It's really no surprise Punxsutawney Phil, the famous furry weather forecaster, saw his shadow today. Six more weeks of winter. Yea. But really, would we expect on Feb. 2 that winter would end any sooner than mid-March anyway?

The only thing I like about Groundhog Day is the movie of the same name that came out in the early '90s. If you haven't seen it, rent it. In the comedy, Bill Murray plays the main character, a somewhat bitter TV weatherman who has to cover the Groundhog Day events in Punxsutawney. Suddenly he finds himself stuck in the little town, repeating the same day over and over again.

It's interesting to see his character change. At first he indulges in anything he can -- from too many jelly doughnuts to too much alcohol -- knowing the next morning it will be like nothing happened and he starts over. Gradually, he begins to reexamine his life and priorities and finds a way to make the experience a positive one.

Wouldn't that be an interesting opportunity? If you could go back and re-live one day of your life, which one would it be? Would it be one of the great ones you want to keep experiencing? Or would it be one you'd want to go back to so you could change something about it?

Interesting to think about. I can honestly say I didn't have a quick answer come to mind.

As for a day I'd change, I wouldn't. Everything I've done or has been done to me, bad and good, had to happen to get me where I am today. I wouldn't change that for anything.

As for one I'd re-live over again, I couldn't pinpoint one specific day, just lots of parts of certain days. I'm guessing that means I still have that one "perfect day" to live. It might be right around corner ... just like spring.

No comments: