Thursday, February 21, 2008

Polar Plunge

When I woke up to 24 below zero this morning, my first thoughts were of my parents. They fly home to Wisconsin today after spending nearly a month in southern Texas with my sister and brother-in-law.

When we talked to them last night, there was an 80-degree difference in temperatures between here and there -- and that was when it was only 7 below! Carter told my sister: "I think when Grandma and Grandpa get off the plane they're going to turn around and try to get back on it!"

I wouldn't blame them. I liken it to those "polar plunges" you hear about. People step out of their warm winter coat and jump into some frigid body of water (usually for charity, sometimes from liquid courage). I can only imagine how their body is shocked from the plunge in temperatures. That's not for me!

When my dad got on the phone last night, he asked hopefully, "Are you calling to say you've extended our tickets so we can stay?"

No such luck, Dad. You need to clear the way for the Austins. Just 25 days and c-c-c-counting ...

No comments: