Sunday, February 24, 2008

Happy Camper

Some of those who don't scrapbook have likened my hobby to a cult. So going away for a whole weekend to scrap must be considered a group seance to communicate with the scrapbookers from beyond. Granted it did take place at a camp, but I think all that funky stuff only happens when teenagers are there in the summer.

This was my fifth year at the infamous Camp Crop-A-Lot. For the non-scrappers, we call a scrapbooking workshop a "crop" (derived from cropping photos, etc.). Many of our hubbies have often inserted new words for crop and scrap, so anything you have to say here, trust me, I've heard it all before!

It's really just a weekend to scrap -- uninterrupted and with the opportunity to steal and share layout ideas. We say fun is mandatory but sleep is optional. Yes, we are corny and I love it!

My scrapbooking projects involve chronological family memory albums. I started with 1998 -- when Carter made us a "family." I am currently working on my 2006 book. My goal for camp was to get most of that done if I could. I completed 36 pages and got as far as December so I feel pretty good about that progress. I've got about 10 more pages to do and I am done with that album. (Yay!) Then it's on to the 2007 one...

It may sound like I am almost caught up, but I'm not even close. My stepson graduates in 2009 so I only have a little over a year to do a book just for him. I also only got as far as getting a kindergarten book done for Carter (who's closing out 4th grade). Then there's the Sister Weekend book and all that genealogy stuff Jim and I have going. So there is always some memory to preserve in an album.

Going to camp gives me the opportunity to power scrap once a year and make some headway. We also get to wear "scrapbooking clothes" and talk about things like "power layouts" that only scrappers would understand. The 2-inch mattresses are a pain to sleep on but the "camp food" is much better than I remember. And the pajama parties still make us giggle.

I did manage to get some sleep but not enough to keep me up for the duration of the Oscars tonight. I was going to say you'll have to let me know how they turn out, but our email is still in a Black Hole. Thank goodness the Internet still works. If all else fails, I could blog all day about being a happy camper. (Fine, I know. Who needs to hear about that scrap?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job Robyn!! I am so glad you were able to get so much done. I can't wait until I get time to do some more pages in my Christmas album. Only 1 more page for 2006 and then it's 2007. Whoo hoo. Thanks for the inspiration. Your loving twin- Lene