Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Arctic Blast

Temperatures in the Midwest are plummeting as an "Arctic Blast" from Canada comes swooping through the region. I think the weathermen just like saying: "Arctic Blast." It sounds like a cool new flavor of Mountain Dew. Or one of those new colognes that teens can't resist. Or a crazy ride at a water park.

Or, as many of us know, just another winter day in Wisconsin.

At work we talk on the phone to people from all over the place. A lot of warm places. They are always so sympathetic to our plight. And so grateful it is us and not them. Right now my parents are in that group.

As much as I miss my sister and brother-in-law in Texas, there are distinct advantages of having family in warmer climes. My parents, who have never had the luxury of wintering in the South, are now down in Pharr in their third stint as Winter Texans. They don't know what they're missing! Or they know -- and certainly don't miss it! Good for them.

Of course, there's already talk about how cold does it have to get for school to close. Apparently a minus-30 degree windchill is the threshold. I'll believe that when I see it. It's supposed to be an honest to goodness 22 below on Friday -- and that's without the windchill. I can't see them calling off school on Wednesday knowing the mercury will continue spiraling downward for at least two more days. But there are those (perhaps someone under this roof) who have hope.

I just can't believe how this deep freeze is helping my diet. For the first time since I don't when, I have no craving for ice cream tonight. When I tell you that there is still a little bit of eggnog-flavored ice cream in our freezer, then you know this is a serious turn-around.

Good thing this cold can't last forever. If I were a betting man, though, I'd wager Robyn caves to her ice cream craving long before warm temps return! If needed, I can always nuke it a little bit to soften it up, too. Oh yes, I am that desperate... and getting goose bumps right now just thinking about it! Time to get under that electric blanket...

No comments: