Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Thinker

As much as I miss having my hubby around, I don't mind the single-mom routine occasionally. ... As long as blizzards are held at bay.

I'm at the point I am pouncing on any one-on-one time with our baby, knowing that at any moment, his pre-teen attitude could kick in and he'll want nothing to do with either one of us. So for now, I'll take advantage of every opportunity.

On Monday and Tuesday nights we had the same routine: supper, homework, then a game. We had a nail-biting game of Bustola on Monday (I barely beat him). And last night, well, we ran out of time, but I'm pretty sure I would have won the UNO game.

Although Daddy sometimes ribs me about hanging on every word Carter says, each day he says something I just find entertaining or even thought-provoking.

On Monday, he was thinking it might be a wise career move to be a government employee so he could get all the holidays off. Then, after further thought, he said a teacher would be even better. Three months off! "Can you imagine how different it will be when I'm a teacher?" he said. "We didn't even have SmartBoards (computerized chalkboard/wipe board) back when I was in first grade and now we do!"

Last night, after I picked him up, he talked about watching the inauguration and its historic value. "I just don't understand what the big deal is if someone is black or white," he said. "What's the difference? I mean we're all the same. Why do some people hate black people? We have a black president today but like 40 years ago they were killing each other. How did this even start?"

I think I prefer the simpler questions like how many planets are there? But even that changes.

When I tried to explain about the Civil Rights Movement, the Civil War and slavery, I got a sick feeling in my stomach just saying out loud, "We owned them." What kind of people were we? Are we?

I'm encouraged that Carter is growing up an environment where people are treated fairly and equally. Where he questions why it shouldn't be that way with everyone. I have faith this truly is a new era. And I'm grateful to be a part of it.

No comments: