Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Page Turner

The temps continue to plunge but just not enough to call off school today. Probably a good thing. I didn't really have work home with me to have a productive day in the confines of my computer room. I will be better prepared when I leave work today. Just in case.

When Carter and I had our usual morning phone chat at 7:45, I reminded him that he has to be sure to wear his boots, hat and gloves to the bus stop, "and don't forget your snow pants again at school."

"Should I just keep them at home?" he replies.

Well, I imagine in his mind, the easiest way not to forget something is to not have it with you in the first place. So I had to explain that even though they wouldn't have outside recess today, he still needed them with in case the bus breaks down and he needs to stay warm and blah, blah, blah parental advice.

He finally understood that. I think. So he is taking them with him -- plus the other stuff. "Good," I said. "I'm glad we're on the same page."

Without skipping a beat, he says, "OK then. Let's turn the page to chapter 4, entitled Nintendo DS."

Oh that schemer!

So I say, "Sorry folks, that's all the time we have for reading today."

And he continues, "We'll be back to chapter 4 on Thursday after these commercial messages."

"Ha! No," I say. "Sorry, buddy. That chapter is closed."

But we all know it probably isn't.

No comments: