Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Making History

January 20, 1981

Dear Diary,
Today two things happened that will make history. One of them is: We get a new president, Ronald Reagan. I think I'll like him 'cuz I got a brother named Ronald. The other thing is: the hostages got released from Iran. They should be back in the U.S. of A. by the end of this week.
- Robyn (age 12)

We say that this inauguration day is historic. But looking back, aren't they all? Every time a president is sworn into office, he or she and their administration, with its decisions, good and bad, will make the history books.

I asked Carter if he was going to get to watch any of Barack Obama's inauguration at school today. "I know you're young," I said, "but this is really a historic day. It's our first black president."

"Mom," he said, "It would have been historic either way. If McCain would have won, we'd have our first female vice president."

I forget sometimes that the 12-year-old girl that wrote the diary entry above is a lot "younger" than my 10-year-old. He can be wise beyond his years, that one.

I hope some day, long before he's my age, he'll be able to vote for a president who is well-qualified. One who doesn't lose or gain votes because of his skin color or because of her sex. An election that focuses solely on the candidates and their qualifications. It's sad to say that in 2009, we seem to be a long way from that.

So today, we will welcome this historic change. Perhaps this is finally a step in that direction. I just hope my wise young man will witness the day we finally take that step -- and don't look back.

Now that would be historic.

No comments: