Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rough Road Ahead

I'm writing this on our way home from Minnesota, where I swear they have the world's bumpiest roads. Even on the interstate, they have potholes, bumps and dips, causing my thumbs to slip off the tiny keyboard on my phone.

We drove over to Cambridge, Minn., about 4 hours northwest of Wisconsin Rapids as the Honda flies, to attend a wake for the grandfather of two of my nieces and a nephew. Jim C. and his wife, Audrey, were the very first in-laws for my family, so I've known the couple since my sister got married the summer I turned 10.

I can't recall a single time I've seen them over the past 30 years when Jim didn't make me smile with some silly story or just the sound of his voice and robust laugh. He had quite the uplifting presence!

Last week when he had his stroke, all of his family (except for my niece flying home from Maryland) were at his side for his last hours. Naturally, they were in shock over the tragic turn of events, but were fortunate they could say their final goodbyes and have some closure.

Our journey through life is a lot like this drive over these bumpy Minnesota highways. Occasionally there is a sign that says, "Bump" or "Rough Road Ahead," but typically we hit the pothole or asphalt ridge without much warning. And just as our vehicle needs solid shocks and good tires to handle the bumpy terrain, we, too, need strong faith and a good support system to handle our rough roads.

We were fortunate we were able to make this trip today to be just part of the support network for the grieving family. And selfishly, spend a little unexpected time with my family who, especially at times like these, I can't take for granted. I mean, who knows what the next bump in the road will bring? It might be a minor discomfort or completely jostle us off our seat.

We know if God is in the driver's seat, we'll arrive at our destination safely. But He never promised us our journey would be free of bumps, dips and detours. Is your "car" equipped to handle it? Or is your faith in need of a tune-up? Last time I checked, God's Garage is open 24/7. No appointment necessary.

No comments: