Thursday, January 29, 2009

Just Journalin'

That's What Boys are Made of: Yesterday Carter's class got to view the "human growth and development" video at school. Leading up to the big day, he was a bit nervous about it, wondering why they had to watch it. I told him it would be good to know how his body is going to be changing in coming years -- and what girls are going through, too, so he knows not to tease them. We asked him last night how it went and Daddy offers, "You have any questions for Mom?" Nope, he said. He already asked his male teacher his questions. So we're off the hook ... for now. I did notice he was getting a pimple last night and he said, "Oh, I'm gonna hate puberty!" Oh honey, you don't know the half of it.

Snow Emergency: If you think we've got it bad in Wisconsin and Minnesota, be thankful we don't live in Cincinnati. Our counterparts at our work headquarters there couldn't even work yesterday. The massive snow and ice storm caused power outages and a "level 3" snow emergency -- which basically makes it illegal to drive. I've never heard of that. Maybe it's just a big city thing. I wonder, though, at what point we'd say it's "illegal" to drive in Wisconsin and Minnesota. And who would listen?

American Idol: Last year was the first time I got hooked on American Idol. Since I can't justify sitting on the couch every night, I wouldn't watch every episode, but I got into it toward the end when the talent pool was good. This year I have a bona fide reason to watch (hopefully a lot). My girlfriend's niece and husband both auditioned in New York. That show airs tonight at 7 p.m. If you are fan, watch for Jennifer (Jenn) Korbee and Tom Korbee. They might just be the first married couple to make the first cut! My friend Becky says as long as they're in the competition, the Idol party's at her house. Now I can't turn that down, can I? A couch and a 50-inch TV? Keep your fingers crossed!

New Beginnings: I am learning a lot about my new job this week. It's kind of exciting. I didn't realize how much I was eager to try something new. It's not going to be easy, but I am up for the challenge! I'm not the only one in our family with fresh starts this week. The son formerly known as Truant is actually making it to school (at his new school) every day and is feeling good about it. We remain cautiously optimistic since the homework phase hasn't started yet. But getting him there in the first place was half the battle ... and then some. We'll keep our fingers crossed on that one, too.

No comments: