Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Weight Clause :: Conclusion

Since the stress level has maintained itself in 2009, I figured I was due for some good news one of these days. It wasn't looking good to start (more deadlines at work and somebody didn't make it to school again), but then I decided I wasn't going to let today get any worse. (Who knew I had such control?)

I decided no matter how my day was going, I was going to make time to get over to the fitness center and burn off some stress. My workout partner Sue and I both agreed that even if we couldn't escape work until 1 p.m., we were getting over there today. And by gosh we did.

I had all but forgotten that this week is the "weigh out" for The Weight Clause program. If you recall, we weighed in back in November and participants were required to attend 8 classes (yay, Zumba!) and then try their darnedest not to gain weight over the holidays. The reward is that if you didn't gain anything, you'd earn a $20 class punchcard for just $5 (and it could be a dollar less for each pound you lost, too. But who actually LOSES weight over the holidays?)

I knew my scale at home had shown an increase. So I indicated to Cheryl (my fitness center mentor and chief overseer of the weigh-ins) that I was going to hit the elliptical machine first, then weigh in -- just in case I could sweat something off.

Now this is where it got interesting. As I step on the machine, who should be working out next to me but "Sam I Am" -- Carter's college girlfriend (from summer Kidz Camp) home on Christmas break. I said, "Oh boy, Carter would be jealous if he knew I saw you today!" (And I was right. When I told him later, he said, "What?! No fair!")

After sweating my way through 3 miles, I got on the scale and was surprised (pleasantly so) to learn I didn't gain weight after all. Whoo-hoo! I have to celebrate the little accomplishments, right?

I told Cheryl that the reason I maintained was probably because I only had 2 eggnog shakes over the holidays -- when I really wanted 10! But that doesn't mean I'm not already thinking about Shamrock Shakes! M-m-m...

I know, I'm hopeless. (But I'm smiling.)

No comments: