Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Halftime

Today marks the halfway point of the school year. Yesterday, the kids enjoyed a day off of school for "record keeping" first semester grades.

Today, stepson #1 (still awaiting college news) starts his very last semester of high school. Stepson #2 (affectionately known as the truant) begins classes at the "alternative" high school. And Carter starts the "I'm almost in 6th grade" bit (but let's not rush things).

It seems natural to look back and see what changes have occurred (or regretfully, not occurred) during the first half of the school year. In a nutshell, time is flying and our boys are growing up!

With the oldest, we are anxious to hear which school he'll be attending next fall while for the first time dealing with the fact he's got a girlfriend. Hubby is going to be giving him the "keep your head on straight" talk so he doesn't jeopardize his grades this last semester. We all remember senior-itis, don't we?

It's been sad to see how the situation with the middle son has deteriorated. He just can't grasp the importance of going to school. We're hoping this new setting this semester makes a difference, but learning from past experience, we remain realistic rather than optimistic. We'll just continue to pray that he'll turn the corner at some point -- preferably sooner rather than later, but that's never in our control, is it?

As for Carter, we can see that fifth grade is preparing him for being a responsible student in sixth grade and beyond. The homework, the projects, the "job" all seem to be a bit much for a 10-year-old. But he's handling it well. And we aren't afraid to keep him in line, on task, when needed, so it doesn't pile up. I don't know if it's possible to break the chain, but I am trying not to pass along that procrastination gene!

For hubby and me, it feels like a "new semester" too. It's the beginning of a new budget year at work so we have new goals to achieve in this tough economy. (Not to mention making smart expenditure decisions at home.) I have totally new job responsibilities to learn, which I am very excited about.

My last major volunteering stint is nearing an end, too. I'm even more excited, or perhaps relieved, about that! It has taken me a good 12 months to make good on my plan to say "no" to so many outside commitments and get my life back. Now, at this reflection point, I am happy to report it's happening. Hopefully in about a month, my time will be my time. Granted, my time is often Carter time, Jim time or family time. But I'll take it.

It may be halftime for the school year, but in some areas of life, it's a whole new game. And I'm ready to play ball!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell Jim that Stevie(that's what Jim would call him) always tells the boys to 'tarp all loads.' Lene